From Roald Dahl’s famous book and film The Witches I chose to represent it with ‘Something mysterious might happen to you’ which is based around all the magic going ons the Grandmother speaks about in the beginning and goes on to find even more mysterious things happen when the Witches have something to do with it. I chose to keep the broken glass effect going on from my developments but altered the layout slightly and some of the gaps between the hybrid fonts to give a more random feel. Reminds me of a broken mirror that could reveal something behind it. The white text on black background works successfully giving it a bit more of a darker theme which I was aiming for. On reflection perhaps the use of mixed upper and lower case letters been more interesting and given it that further mashed up style. I think it was important to have the word ‘mysterious’ larger in size compared to the others as it draws you in and is the main focus point of both the poster and sentence. Arranging the separate words on different angles keep in line with the broken look and work effectively in context with my six word story.
Some development pieces of my work on photoshop creating a hybrid font. Using Sans and Serif versions of same type face. Using inspiration from http://www.typesnap.us but having a more broken glass effect. I think its worked well how it appears to be cracked randomly as if its been smashed. I also experimented with inverting the tones to see if they would create more of a moody tone to match my ‘mysterious’ theme. Highlighting certain words were effective but think theres to much of a contrast against the others so will keep them all the same tone. I still need to work with the composition of the size and placement of the words to get the balance right and not have some words massively over powering the others.
Given a hexagonal grid to work with and create a type face I began by experimenting with random letters of the alphabet until I found a system I liked and worked successfully. Starting with capital letters seemed logical at first but found that lower case would be easier to replicate and transfer into other letters such as; off the lower case ‘b’, letters ‘d’ ‘p’ ‘q’ can also easily be constructed. After developing a few ideas I set on a system of using three diagonal shapes as the bowl of the majority of letters all with a 3 x 5 ratio of hexagonal shapes to keep them the same throughout. From left to right Ive constructed letters; ‘o”p”q”a”g”y”r”s”e”b”d”u”v”m”w”n”x”n”l”h”i”k”t”c”f”j”z’.In my sketched here you can see that some didn’t work as well as the others especially finding it hard to create the ‘s’ in keeping with the x height. I think with development and digitalisation this system could work well. The style of this reminds me of quite a modern techno theme.
Letterpress printing is a process of relief printing using a press which can be reproduced over and over again from a direct impression of an raised inked surface, in this case using small led blocks with letter forms moulded from it. Below is an example of the construction of keeping all the letter pieces together held together under pressure. Using wood slides round the edge is important to keep a certain amount of pliabilitiy and movement when printing and then filling the bed to keep the letter blocks in place.
When I put through my own bed and letter forms though the inked press I found that in the movement of the bed the ‘i’ letter block had come slightly back from the rest so didn’t transfer any ink, perhaps I had not secured them enough in my bed but was easily rectifiable. After a few more attempts to get the level and pressure right when pulling through the press the inked letter forms came out effectively. Although the first mistake was not intentional I think it works quite well and that the diacritic dot of the ‘i’ came out so is still legible of what the letter originally was. In close detail you can see the impression of the letter block which makes it quite interesting as mixed technique of relief printing. Enjoyed this as a way of creating type through a hands on printing process that can sometimes be unpredictable rather than always using a digital practise.
Summer task of creating an illuminated letter form using my first name initial and interests. Alphonse Mucha’s work and the Art Nouveau movement are one of my favourite themes / designs so thought it would be appropriate to include this in my design focusing on mainly on the female form. This particular image was inspired by Mucha’s Dance piece I really love the composition of this design and thought the hair would work well with the shape of the ‘D’ form. I developed this in adobe photoshop using the basic drawing tool and layering with the other components in the image. For the colour element I created an abstract sample of warm tones in watercolour and scanned them in for a mixed media visual. I also hand drew some continuous line sketches of a city skyline to represent Cardiff and scanned these in as well. I chose a bold sans serif font style as I wanted it to be in contrast with the Mucha inspired image and not to take the full focus of that. In reflection I might’ve played around with the layout and developed further in Illustrator for a more refined finish.